Ivory Music & Video, the exclusive licensee of Sony Music in the Philippines is proud to announce the release of Ben Folds’ The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective, the long-awaited career-spanning anthology chronicling the musical adventures of pop’s quintessential post-modern singer-songwriter-pianist, available in music stores nationwide.
The most comprehensive and definitive Ben Folds collection ever assembled, and first-ever domestic overview of Folds’ music, The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective is remastered from original master tapes, bringing together Ben’s biggest hits, deep catalog fan favorites, hidden treasures, and collectible rarities while premiering the first newly recorded Ben Folds Five tracks in 11 years. The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective features liner notes and track-by-track song annotations by Ben Folds.
“This is the album I will submit for the next Voyager to be launched into space,” says Ben Folds in his liner notes for The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective. “It’s my best shot at an honest assessment of where I was in each period of my career. . . . In the end we tried to put together a collection of the unrepeatable, each recording hopefully representing a moment that was somehow otherwise beyond my ability.”
A perfect point of entry for newcomers as well as a treasure trove for the initiated, The Best Imitation of Myself: A Retrospective is a carefully curated 18-track distillation of the essence of two decades of Ben Folds music, from the break-out hits “Underground” and “Brick” with Ben Folds Five through solo work and unexpected collaborations ranging from “You Don’t Know Me” with Regina Spektor to “From Above” (with lyrics by Nick Hornby, author of “High Fidelity”). Pointing to the future, the disc closes with “House,” one of three new Ben Folds Five songs recorded especially for the retrospective.
Along with his first major career retrospective, Ben Folds is reprising his role as celebrity judge on “The Sing-Off,” the a cappella singing competition series returning for its third season as part of the NBC Fall line-up beginning September 19 (check your local listings). This fall Ben is also producing the upcoming EP from Sara Bareilles, who joins him as a judge on “The Sing-Off” panel this season.
As a solo artist and leader of Ben Folds Five, Ben Folds has sold more than 3 million records over the course of his 17-year recording career.
Ben Folds, The Best Imitation of Myself : A Retrospective
01. Brick (Radio Mix) (with Ben Folds Five) Taken from Brick single – 1998
02. Annie Waits Taken from Rockin The Suburbs – 2001
03. Philosophy (with Ben Folds Five) Taken from Ben Folds Five – 1995
04. Underground (with Ben Folds Five) Taken from Ben Folds Five – 1995
05. Landed (Strings Version) Taken from Landed (Digital Single) – 2005
06. One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces (with Ben Folds Five) Taken from Whatever and Ever Amen – 1997
07. Don’t Change Your Plans (with Ben Folds Five) Taken from The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner – 1999
08. The Luckiest Taken from Rockin The Suburbs – 2001
09. Smoke (with the West Australian Symphony Orchestra) Audio taken from Live in Perth – 2005
10. Rockin’ the Suburbs Taken from Rockin The Suburbs – 2001
11. Kate (with Ben Folds Five) Taken from Whatever and Ever Amen – 1997
12. Gracie Taken from Songs for Silverman – 2005
13. Still Fighting It (Extended Version) Alternate Mix from Rockin The Suburbs – 2001
14. You Don’t Know Me (featuring Regina Spektor) Taken from Way To Normal-2008
15. There’s Always Someone Cooler Than You Taken from Supersunnyspeedgraphic, The LP – 2006
16. Still Taken from Over The Hedge-Music From The Motion Picture– 2006
17. From Above (with lyrics by Nick Hornby) Taken from Lonely Avenue – 2010
18. House (with Ben Folds Five) New Track – 2011